Sam Greenwood/Getty Images
Jay Christensen produces The Wiz Of Odds.
• Bob Wojnowski, Detroit News: Bless Iowa's little cholesterol-clogged heart. It did what needed to be done last week, booting Penn State from Bowl Championship Series title contention, saving our beloved Big Ten from further national humiliation and reminding the weasels in Washington why the Big Ten should get a chunk of any government bailout.
• Joseph Goodman, Miami Herald: Tim Tebow indicated that he might cast a Heisman vote for himself.
• Brad Rock, Deseret News: The problem with Brent Guy's plan to remain Utah State's coach is that it's much like John McCain's plan to become president. You can't move ahead when people associate you with the past. It's time for a change.
• Scott M. Reid, Orange County Register: USC officials have asked to interview sports marketer Lloyd Lake as part of the university's probe into allegations that Lake provided Trojan Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush and his family nearly $300,000 in cash and gifts in violation of NCAA rules.
• Andrew Carter, Orlando Sentinel: Florida State's blackout for Saturday's game against Boston College is supposed to be a tribute to the Seminole tribe. But when asked about it, Bobby Bowden said, "we're doing it for Nike."
• Marc Morehouse, Cedar Rapids Gazette: The feud between Minnesota's Tim Brewster and Wisconsin's Bret Bielema is as big as Paul Bunyan.
• Adam Rittenberg, ESPN: Did Ohio State's Jim Tressel run up the score against Northwestern?
• Donnie Webb, Syracuse Post-Standard: Not only does Syracuse not beat itself, it doesn't beat anyone.
• Bud Withers, Seattle Times: We're ahead of pace to surpass the 18 head coaching changes in 2007.
• Randall Mell, Orlando Sentinel: The ultimate doomsday scenario for the BCS involves USC and Texas failing to win their conference titles but meeting in the BCS title game.
• Lya Wodraska, Salt Lake Tribune: Whether it's CBS Sports.com's Dennis Dodd writing that Utah and Texas Christian gave "non-BCS detractors all the ammo they needed," SI.com's Stewart Mandel writing that the Utes don't deserve too much credit or ESPN analyst Jesse Palmer calling Utah the most overrated team in the BCS, criticism of Utah's high standing in the BCS has risen along with the Utes' ranking.
• Brent Schrotenboer, San Diego Union-Tribune: Negotiations between San Diego State and the city of San Diego for a new long-term lease allowing the Aztecs to play at city-owned Qualcomm Stadium have been described as "very difficult" and "very, very frustrating" by a stadium official.
• Gentry Estes, Mobile Press-Register: Police are investigating an altercation that involved an Alabama football player and two members of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity.
• Manhattan Mercury: The pros and cons of bring back Bill Snyder to coach Kansas State.
• Bob Asmussen, Champaign News-Gazette: When others were predicting big things for Illinois, there stood Phil Steele. He saw trouble ahead for the Fighting Illini in 2008.
• Bill Simonson, The Huge Blog: The Mid-American Conference is as good or better than the Big Ten.