Jay Christensen produces The Wiz Of Odds.
• Teddy Feinberg, Las Cruces Sun-News: UCLA defensive coordinator
DeWayne Walker and Texas Christian offensive coordinator Mike Schultz
are two of the three finalists for the New Mexico State job. The third
candidate remains a mystery.
• Darryl Slater, Richmond Times-Dispatch: Virginia Tech has sold about 4,700 of its allotment of 17,500 tickets to the Orange Bowl. If the school fails to sell 8,000, it pays for the unsold tickets. Plus, don't expect Virginia Tech to designate defensive coordinator Bud
Foster as its coach in waiting any time soon.
• Ken Goe, Oregonian: Oregon and Oregon State fans are blaming the faltering economy for their failure to get to postseason destinations.
• David Ching, Athens Banner-Herald: Even with a big Capital One Bowl win over Michigan State, there would still be a lot of questions swirling around the Georgia program.
• Chip Cosby, Lexington Herald-Leader: Kentucky is ahead of the curve in hiring a racially diverse staff and designating an African American coach in waiting.