quarterback's transfer release.
Jay Christensen produces The Wiz Of Odds.
• Susan Miller Degnan, Miami Herald: Miami granted a transfer request by Robert Marve, but the quarterback's father is upset with terms of the release, which prohibits the player from transferring to another team in Florida or teams from the Atlantic Coast and Southeastern conferences. "This has gone to a personal attack against my son, and it will not go without challenge," Eugene Marve said. "This is a shameful day that [Randy] Shannon has brought to the University of Miami.
• Edwin Quarles, Lufkin Daily News: Jamarkus McFarland, the prep defensive tackle from Lufkin, Texas, talks about having his recruiting story detailed by the New York Times. "It's not something I regret but what I don't like is how people have responded to the story."
• Chuck Carlton, Dallas Morning News: Texas' Mack Brown, a long-time advocate of a playoff, said the plus-one postseason model -- essentially a seeded four-team playoff -- is not the solution to the lack of a playoff system.
• Ferd Lewis, Honolulu Advertiser: Hawaii's athletic department is looking for ways to cut expenses, including the possibility of layoffs.
• Don Williams, Lubbock Avalanche-Journal: Texas Tech's Mike Leach had reporters laughing with stories about the Cotton Bowl.
• Lincoln Journal Star: Nebraska's Bo Pelini downplayed discussion about his salary, which ranks 11th among Big 12 coaches.
• Michael Rothstein, Fort Wayne Journal Gazette: Was Notre Dame's offense too complicated? Former offensive coordinator Michael Haywood, the new coach at Miami (Ohio), suggests the Fighting Irish should have cut back on the playbook.