Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
Jay Christensen produces TheWizOfOdds.com.
• Chris Dufresne, Los Angeles Times: Is the Mountain West Conference deserving of an automatic bid to a Bowl Championship Series game? Coaches say the league would be more competitive than the Atlantic Coast Conference, whose teams are a dismal 1-9 in BCS games.
• Bryant-Jon Anteola, Fresno Bee: Western Athletic Conference commissioner Karl Benson acknowledged that the replay official working the Wisconsin-Fresno State game made an error when he overturned a fumble in the Bulldogs' favor.
• Jeff Metcalfe, Arizona Republic: ABC analyst Kirk Herbstreit will be back in the broadcast booth of an Arizona State game for the first time since his comments that quarterback Rudy Carpenter said or did things to taunt and incite Texas before last year's Holiday Bowl.
• Anthony Gimino, Tucson Citizen: Could Arizona State, which skated on a favorable schedule to 10 victories in 2007, be headed for a 2-5 start in 2008?
• Jared Eborn, Deseret News: Have some players already quit on Utah State coach Brent Guy? "We don't know how to win," senior receiver Otis Nelson said. "People just don't compete -- period. If something goes bad, they don't want to fight back. They don't want to go through adversity, fight back."
• Pete Pelegrin, Miami Herald: Florida International is set to unveil its $50 million on-campus stadium Saturday night when it plays host to South Florida.
• A.J. Carr, Raleigh News & Observer: East Carolina athletic director Terry Holland said he doesn't hear realignment and expansion talk rumbling across the college football landscape -- certainly not any involving the Pirates.