invitation to Fresno State fans.
Jay Christensen produces TheWizOfOdds.com.
• Brian Dohn, Los Angeles Daily News: UCLA's marketing department took out an advertisement in the Fresno Bee urging fans to buy tickets to Saturday's game between Fresno State and the Bruins at the Rose Bowl. "They were inviting Fresno fans to the game?" UCLA linebacker Reggie Carter said in disbelief. UCLA also bought a radio spot on Fresno stations.
• Kevin Gorman, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Pittsburgh's Dave Wannstedt has placed mousetraps around the Duratz Athletic Complex as a motivation tool. He wants his players to avoid falling into the "trap" of looking past Saturday's game at Syracuse. The Panthers have a showdown against South Florida the following week.
• Ken Tysiac, Charlotte Observer: East Carolina and North Carolina State, the team that just defeated the Pirates, are now bickering about future games scheduled between the teams.
• Pollspeak: A look at the good and bad voters of the week in the Associated Press poll.
• John Zenor, Associated Press: Auburn blamed crowd noise for communication problems on defense in the Tigers' 26-21 home loss to Louisiana State. "We were just discombobulated," defensive end Antonio Coleman said.
• Jeffrey Martin, Kansas City Star: In-state recruits are turning their backs on Kansas State's Ron Prince.
• Michael Rothstein, Fort Wayne Journal Gazette: Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen has cut his hair and now sports a buzzcut. "I said if we lost, once we lost, I'd cut it off. Had to cut it off."
• Joseph Person, Columbia State: South Carolina offensive tackle Jarriel King says he will need heart surgery after the season. Doctors have cleared him to play the rest of the season.
• Steve Irvine, Birmingham News: Alabama Birmingham coach Neil Callaway was unaware that South Carolina decided Saturday would be the day that starting tailback Mike Davis would serve his suspension for missing class earlier this year. "I guess it's good for us and shows you they don't respect us very much if they're not going to play him. That definitely ought to send a message to what they think and how they think."
• Mike Hlas, Cedar Rapids Gazette: Will someone please explain how or why Saturday's Northwestern-Iowa game is on ESPN Classic? Does ESPN know something about this game that we don't?
• Iliana Limón, Orlando Sentinel: Central Florida is logging more than 6,000 miles on back-to-back trips to Boston College and Texas El Paso.
• Jon Solomon, Birmingham News: Mississippi State has restructured the contracts of its football, men's basketball and baseball coaches and added a clause to guard against low Academic Progress Rate scores.