- 06/07/2011, 08:28AM ET
HighwayCrossingFrog said 06/07, 08:28 AM
1. Jackie Robinson becoming the first african american to play baseball..
2. Li Na, becoming the first chinese lady to win a grand slam.. China has a winner!!!
3. Dannica Patrick, not only is she a looker, but she can compete against men too!
4. Anika Sorenstam, another girl who can compete against men in golf!
5. Iraq, although I am not a fan of terrorism, and this part of the world in general, the Iraqi soccer team making it to the semifinals of the olympic soccer, was a noice story.. My favorite part was when Bush accidentally pis-s-ed them off, by saying it was a sign the country was returning to normal.. And Im glad he pissed off those guys, ha ha..
6. Nadal wearing capri pants.. Though we may never get a homosexual to come out of the closet, guess the closest thing is a metro-sexual to come out of the closet, ha ha..
7. Woods, and the williams sisters, african americans dominating a traditionally "white" sport..
8. Martina Navratalova.. Though its different for girls.. She is still a person, and she came out of the closet while during her career..
9. Babe Ruth.. Gives us alcholics a mentor! Ever heard someone says alcholics never amount to anything?
Girl From Hawaii said 06/07, 10:00 AM
1. 1961- The Loyola Ramblers start 4 black players on the court, first time ever. (Evolved basketball forever)
2. OJ Simpson - found innocent of murder as the whole nation watched.
3. Barry Bonds - Amid setting home run records, caught in the biggest steroid case in baseball.
4. Pete Rose guilty of betting, prevented the Reds from formally retiring his #14 jersey, prevented from being inducted into the hall of fame.
5. Michael Vick goes to jail for dog fighting.
6. John Wooden's death - shocked the entire nation, created the pyramid of success.
7. Anna Kournikova - evolved women's tennis forever.
8. Jack Nicklaus wins his 18th major, oldest Masters winner in history (46 years old).
9. Mike Tyson bites off Holyfields ear...fined 3 million, taints his career.
HighwayCrossingFrog said 06/07, 10:49 AM
1. Jackie vs your basketball team.. Got to give give the Nod to Jackie as being more important..
Froggie 1 girl 0
2. oj vs li na.. Li na is a positive experience, OJ is a negative one.. I am an optimist, so I give myself the nod here too
Froggie 2 girl 0
3. Bonds vs Patrick.. a girl competing against men, to me is extremely different and unique.. You are a girl, (i think), so you probably understand this.. If I ever had a daughter, I would be so happy that I could show her how women can compete against men..
Froggie 3 girl 0
4. Sorenstam vs pete rose.. see reason above!
Froggie 4 girl 0
5. iraq vs vick.. again as an optimist, I loved seeing a country torn by war, able to compete with other countries on the big scene and have success while doing so..
Froggie 5 girl 0
6. I will give ya this, I was being silly
Froggie 5 girl 1
7. Anna vs williams.. williams wil be remembered FOREVER..
Frog 6 girl 1
8.Nicklaus vs women coming out of closet..
Frog 7 Girl 1
9. I was being silly again.. Plus Im a huge fan of Tyson..
WINNER, FROGGIE!!!! 7 TO 2!!!
I look forward to seeing your rebute..
You are going down sister!!
Girl From Hawaii said 06/07, 11:50 AM
I feel like as a whole, didn't know we were comparing each event, my events are more historic.
Annika Sorenstam didn't even win a PGA tournament, that's not competing
Danica Patrick only won 1 race in 103 starts...not competing
Nadal wearing capri pants is being silly..okay
Babe Ruth is being silly...okay
Martina Navratilova isn't really surprising, many other people come out of the closet as well it's not like she started a trend. Billie Jean King was also openly gay. She is much more famous than Martina.
By my count you have really only 3 relevant historic events.
Michael Vick, Pete Rose, OJ Simpson, Mike Tyson will always be remembered for being great at their sport, while also doing stupid crazy things. They are famous for two things. Jack Nicholaus is historic in that even Tiger can't touch his 18 major wins now. Anna Kournikova paved the path for tennis with her beauty. It's what made women's tennis a lot more popular. John Wooden was the best NCAA basketball coach to live, he left leaving his philosophy with many.
All of your events are pretty current in that players are still playing or just retired in the past 4 years. Not Historic at all.
HighwayCrossingFrog said 06/08, 06:08 AM
your list aint bad and your 2nd argument is solid, girl from hawaii..
I personally think its cool that there are some sports that women can compete against guys in.. Maybe thats just me..
You heard it from me first.. Some day, maybe it will be a hundred years from now, women will be able to compete against men it the tri-athalon.. They are naturally better endurance swimmers.. And the gap in marathons between the elite men and elit women is constantly closing..
To an extent I agree with about martina..
In our society it is cool to be a lesbian, (Saw a parody of brokeback mountain, where all the cowboys were ecstatic that their wives were lesbians:)..
But unfortuneatly 2 gay men is extremely frowned upon..
Still with gay marriage being a controversial issue..
Maybe having prominent lesbians in the sporting world, will make people feel more comfortable about allowing two chicks to get married, and then maybe that would translate into 2 gay men getting married..
So for an all time great tennis player to come out of the closet is a big deal..
Obviously if a super star gay man came out of the closet, it would be a massive massive story..
- Awful Announcing
- Free Darko
- Pro Football Talk
- The Big Lead
- Joe Posnanski
- The Sporting Blog
- Big League Stew
- Bugs and Cranks
- Every day Should Be Saturday
- Mr. Irrelevant
- With Leather
- The Sports Hernia