- 07/06/2011, 03:48PM ET
Serial Dex said 07/06, 03:48 PM
Make a team of 6 guys from 3 NBA teams. 2 players per team. Positions can be tinkered with, but do so at your own risk.
Teams must be connected by the 1st letter of one of their names. Follow my example.
M to M, H to H. Simple enough?
PG: Jameer Nelson
SG: Dwayne Wade
SF: Josh Smith
PF: Al Horford
C: Dwight Howard
6th Man: Udonis Haslem
Nelson is a decent PG who doesn't demand his own shots and isn't worried about scoring. He's played with Howard and knows his role. I don't have to worry about his ego or his shot selection, he'll just get the ball where it needs to go.
I have top tier defense at 4 of 5 positions. My 6th man is a glue guy who also plays top tier defense.
I have a great blend of athleticism and guys who can score from the outside, inside and drive the lane. This team can beat you in any different way.
StonedHippy said 07/06, 04:28 PM
Ok I think I got you on this one bro.
New York Knicks
New Orleans Hornets
PG: Chris Paul
SG: Dwayne Wade
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: Lebron James
C: Amare Stoudemire
6th Man: David West
Chris Paul is a way way better point guard than Nelson and he also can score within the flow of an offense and can distribute better than Nelson can.
At Small Forward Carmelo Anthony is basically everything Josh Smith wishes he could be, a good shooter, an actual star, clutch...
At Power forward your done because Horford is undersized to begin with so I don't think Lebron would have much trouble at all guarding him. Speaking of Lebron... HOW THE HELL DO YOU NOT HAVE LEBRON ON YOUR TEAM? I mean come on Hasleem? 6th man? you could have picked a ton of guys to be your sixth man.
At Center you may have me beat but Amare scores more than Howard and with scorers like Lebron, Anthony, Wade, and Paul on my team Howard's effect defensively will be limited. Anthony and Paul can spread out the court with their shooting, and Lebron and Wade can penetrate and kick.
Once again at 6th man I have you beat. West is way better than Haslem and does everything Haslem does better.
Serial Dex said 07/06, 06:26 PM
1. I am done at PF because Horford is undersized? You do realize that he played half his games at Center right?
He is 6'10" and 245lbs. He is undersized at PF? Come on dude.
2. You have Melo and Amare on the same team, along with 3 other superstars. You have great individual players but too many scorers with little defense and teamwork.
Melo and Amare want the ball too much. Chris Bosh is frustrated as 3rd banana in Miami. He whines that he doesn't get enough touches. Do you think Amare is going to be different? How about Melo? They can't all score.
And neither of them play defense.
3. I chose Haslem because he is a glue guy. He does the small things and the intangibles. I don't need another scorer, I need a guy to play defense, rebound and hustle.
I didn't choose Lebron because:
a. He no-shows in big games and the fourth quarter. I want a guy with heart.
b. I don't need another scorer. I have 2 guys that score down low and 2 guys that can drive/shoot. What good is another scorer? See point #3 above
1 on 1 comparing the teams on paper, you have me beat. Creating a team however, that would win together? That's my squad.
StonedHippy said 07/06, 10:05 PM
1. I only meant you were done because you would have had Horford guarding Lebron. I dont think I really went too far out on a limb there.
2. I knew you were gonna go with this too many superstars farse of an argument. You do realize that there once was a time in the NBA when teams regularly had 3 or more stars? The 80's Celtics had 3 Hall of Famers on their title teams, so try again.
3. Intangibles... That's a laugh so is that why you picked Haslem over Lebron? Intangibles, or is it because you just had to have the the vast amount of intangibles that Josh Smith possesses on your team. I mean sure if you love long athletic forwards who take bad long two point jump shots and lose in the 1st round ever year then Smith has to be the pick there.
4. Sure Lebron no-showed this year but that's no reason to take Smith over him. By the way Lebron does hold an NBA record for consecutive points in a playoff game when he single-handedly beat the Pistons in 07. Anyway, my team is so far better than yours I wouldn't need him in the 4th anyway.
If we compared these teams on paper which is the only place we can compare them I do have you beat. By a large margin.
Serial Dex said 07/07, 08:12 PM
Al Horford and Dwight Howard are defensive beasts. One is a repeat DPOY winner who can change the shape of his game and the other has been lavished praise for his ability to guard SF, PF and Centers all in the same game.
Lebron and Wade BOTH said that Haslem was the main reason the Heat were able to come together they way they did and the main reason they turned around their season (he missed the first half almost with injury). Haslem does all the little things right. That's what you need for a TEAM and not just 5 scorers.
Having too many all stars is not my argument. My argument is that you have too many scorers. That isn't a farse. There is only 1 ball to share and 5 guys who want it all the time on your team. Do you expect Melo and Amare to be moving off the ball? Setting screens, hustling back on defense, etc... ?
Melo and Amare barely get along with each other because they both want to be the focal point on the offensive end. Neither of them care about defense. Your team has no chemistry. I don't care about the 1980's ... your team has too many selfish players. These guys aren't even close to Celtics in terms of character.
StonedHippy said 07/07, 08:20 PM
Chemistry blah, Intangibles blah, your hiding behind things that can't be quantified in an attempt to cover up for your inferior squad.
Seriously Haslem was the reason the Heat turned around their season...
When did their season need turning around to begin with? He came back in the playoffs, and they were the second seed in the East you sound ridic.
You keep saying my team has too many scorers. Let me put it this way, my team will have a lot easier of a time getting the points they need when they need them than your team will. I mean look at your team, you have Wade and Smith. The two players who will dominate the ball most offensively both can't shoot. Your teams offense is inefficient and has scorers just like mine, they are just less efficient scorers.
The only 1 ball argument is a joke I mean come on, lets not act like your team isn't full of ball dominant players, thats probably why you totally ignored my argument about Wade, Smith, and Howard all being black holes as well.
At the end of the day basketball is basketball, many of my players played on Olympic teams filled with stars and found a way to be successful. Too much talent is never the issue.
|3||JimJ77 RIP Mil Town Pride||130||53||26||68.4%|
|9||PCH-R. Barber best BUC eva||926||1535||406||39.4%|
- Awful Announcing
- Free Darko
- Pro Football Talk
- The Big Lead
- Joe Posnanski
- The Sporting Blog
- Big League Stew
- Bugs and Cranks
- Every day Should Be Saturday
- Mr. Irrelevant
- With Leather
- The Sports Hernia