- 03/11/2012, 08:26PM ET
Schad - Notorious Deadbeat said 03/11, 08:26 PM
Well, this one is all about the current worst run NHL franchise. We have a bunch of contenders.
The Montreal Smurfs who are out of the playoffs and have a coach who the fans hate because of the language.
Columbus has one star player who wants to leave. Really bad.
But, I have to go with the Toronto Maple Laffs. Let's look at this.
1. They have been out of the playoffs for years and always seem to find a way to not make it.
2. Still recovering from the Kessel deal, who the player they got, was last seen yawning on the bench.
3. They just fired their coach that they gave a contract extension to about 2 months ago.
4. The elite player who will be available as a free agent, Zach Parise, has stated he has no interest in going to Toronto. You know it's bad when players are saying where they don't want to go.
5. Their GM, just gave a depth centerman a 5.5 million per season extension, thus ensuring them a one way trip to Salary Cap Hell.
6. This same GM has decided that it's better to pick fights with the media to draw attention from the disaster on the ice. So, he picks a fight with Don Cherry.
7. Goalies? We don't need no stinkin' goalies!
Argos. said 03/12, 07:39 PM
The Leafs are a NHL franchise? Well, by looking at the roster, I thought they were an American Hockey League team. Then, looking at some playoff history since the lockout, and they are no where to be found. Surely, if they haven't made the playoffs, while the Atlanta Thrashers have, the only explanation is that they aren't in this so called NHL. I don't believe they are in the NHL, so you are wrong on a technicality.
But, I'll just go on to discuss the worst run team in the NHL.
1. Garth Snow is the GM.
2. Rick DiPietro.
3. 15-years, $67.5 million (Rick's contract).
4. 11-years (years left).
5. 47 (games played by Rick the last 4 years).
6. Charles Wang.
7. Charles Wang's stupid fat grandkid at EVERY draft.
8. Nassau Coliseum = worst pro sports building in NA
9. Can't get a new building.
10. Losing money, and lots.
11. UGLY JERSEYS!
12. Can you even name the Islanders coach?
13. Alexi Yashin is the teams 8th highest paid player
14. Yashin only has 8 goals this year...
15. ...IN THE KHL!!!!
16. Yashin was captain of this franchise
18. Yashin hasn't been in the NHL since '07
19. Yahsin is being paid for 4 more season
Schad - Notorious Deadbeat said 03/13, 10:08 AM
Looks like you've got a serious issue with Mike Milbury. Problem is, he gone. Long gone. Hey, I'm actually surprised that you didn't mention that epic disaster that brought Yashin to NY in the first place.
Currently, at least they resemble something that may be confused with going in the right direction. They've got some good young talent and are in a decent shape cap wise. Yes, they actually have to spend the money, but at least they have a ton of roster spots open so can try and rebuild.
Toronto Marlies...errr....Maple Leafs, they are in bad shape. They keep making the same mistakes, over and over, and never learning. While Milbury is gone in NY, Toronto still has The Irked One running the Leafs, off a cliff, Thelma and Louise style.
Who is going to play net next year for Toronto, Reimer? Seriously? what a joke.
The Leafs are going to be in the position where they aren't good enough to make the playoffs but not bad enough to get a good draft pick. Good times for all.
Plus, the Maple Leafs allegedly matter, or so I'm told. The Islanders, not so much.
The Islanders are the tree falling in the forest with no one around.
Argos. said 03/13, 11:49 AM
Like I said before...I can't find any evidence of the Leafs being in the NHL since the lockout.
They are like big foot or the loch ness monster. People talk about them, and claim they are there, yet every spring when people pay attention and look and watch out of them, they aren't there.
If you haven't been seen in the playoffs, or in the top 10 of NHL draft picks...then you don't exist.
There is no evidence that the Leafs are in the NHL. I have not seen any, nor has anyone else.
The Leafs aren't the worst run NHL team, because they aren't in the NHL.
Seriously, the Islanders suck.
Any team that is paying a guy for 4 more years, that hasn't played in the NHL for 4 years, and is considered to be old and washed up and overpaid in the KHL, is a bad run organization.
They don't have an arena!
The owner once tried to get a sumo-wrestler to play hockey!
They have a terrible name. What is an islander?
And who the hell is their coach??????? Ted Nolan?
They are in the NHL, and suck.
Schad - Notorious Deadbeat said 03/14, 01:41 PM
Wait a sec......we are implying that the Islanders are an NHL franchise. So far, what you've brought to the table would indicate otherwise. What NHL team would actually trade for Yashin? Or hire Snow? Or hire Mike Milbury?
Teams in the QMJHL have better arenas than the Islanders.
I did like the sumo wrestler idea, it's thinking outside the box that a solid AHL franchise would do to bring in fans.
Also, the Islanders haven't been seen in the playoffs, unless they are buying tickets for the game.
Using your reasoning, both teams aren't in the NHL.
Therefore, of the two non NHL teams, the Leafs are the worse run. Some may argue that the Marlies are the non-NHL team in Toronto, but while they are, they aren't the only one.
As a matter of fact, Islander fans are seen about as much as Nessie or Bigfoot, although sitings of Nessie and Bigfoot are usually made by more reliable sources.
Argos. said 03/14, 02:49 PM
I have evidence the Islanders are in the NHL.
1) 2007 they made the playoffs.
2) 2009 drafted 1st overall.
I have not seen the Leafs at any of these key events since the lockout, so they aren't in the NHL as there is no evidence. Islanders, have done both.
Further evidence. You need at least 1 Ontario born hockey player to be in the NHL (ask Cherry why). The Islanders have several! They are in the NHL. Every NHL team has several. The Leafs have no, further evidence they aren't in the NHL.
There is plenty of evidence that the Islanders are an NHL team. That is why Quebec wants them to move there. Leafs, not so much.
The Leafs are an American Hockey League team, just look at their roster. Full of Americans, GM is American, non-American players aren't NHL calibre, terrible goaltending, etc.
The Leafs are a good run organization. So good, they have TWO American Hockey League teams! The Marlies are first in their division, and the Leafs are so good they occasionally get to play with the big boys in the NHL (though...it is men against boys).
And the Leafs make lots of money, something rare for AHL teams, proving they are well run.
|3||JimJ77 Best in the World!||129||53||26||68.3%|
|9||PCH-R. Barber best BUC eva||924||1535||406||39.3%|
- Fantasy baseball Weekend Primer: Stream McAllister, McCarthy
- Fantasy baseball Prospect Watch: Yelich's call-up approaches
- Fantasy baseball Stat Focus: Tim Lincecum's low O-Swing
- Fantasy baseball Trade Tips: Buy Ryu, sell Zimmerman
- Fantasy baseball roundtable: Is Harvey the best pitcher now?
- Awful Announcing
- Free Darko
- Pro Football Talk
- The Big Lead
- Joe Posnanski
- The Sporting Blog
- Big League Stew
- Bugs and Cranks
- Every day Should Be Saturday
- Mr. Irrelevant
- With Leather
- The Sports Hernia