- 04/04/2013, 03:41PM ET
HighwayCrossingFrog said 04/04, 03:41 PM
1. Soccer, tennis and rugby take less than 2 hours to play..
Vs NFL, NBA and MLB.. Take 3 hours..
3 hours is a big chunk of the day..
2. The time zones are more fan friendly..
If you live on the east coast you are in trouble in America..
Good luck watching the NBA play offs..
Especially if its a game that starts at 10pm ET..
3. No time outs or breaks for commercials in the heat of the moment..
4. Rugby is the best sport in the world to watch on replay, even if you know the score..
There is constant action and battles within battles..
I admit NFL is a close 2nd, but that's only cause they cut out the commercials and time outs! It's cheating!
5. We have more BIG day games in Europe..
So it's even easier to get a good nights rest..
6. Better rivalries in Europe..
Mostly cause we have more international competition..
Do you think England wants to lose to Germany?
Or the Greeks want to lose to the Turks?
This makes more must see tv.
The only BIG rivalry is yanks vs sox..
But even that is kind of lame now cause the sox have imploded..
TnerB57 said 04/05, 04:51 AM
Good luck, Frogster.
1. I like the longer games. Thats another hour I can avoid talking to the wifey. Plus, more beer!
2. A couple of things here. I'd wager that for east coasters, the lion's share of their favorite teams' games occur within an hour of their time zone. And if they absolutely have to see every game, stay up late or dvr it.
3. Time outs are a necessary component of every contest. Otherwise, when the hell are you supposed to pee? Or grab the dip from the fridge? Here in Amurca, the action stops for us so we can attend to the call of nature.
4. I can't speak to rugby, as I've only watched maybe 10 minutes of it in my life, but for me the only sport I can watch even when I know the outcome aforehand is MMA. I will skim through other events for highlights, but I can watch the fights beginning to end, even if I know who wins.
5. Day games don't work well for the average American. Unless you're Ferris Bueller.
6. This one I concede to you, as nationalism > homerism.
HighwayCrossingFrog said 04/05, 07:08 PM
1. The problem with longer games that are loaded with commercials,
Is that I have low attention span as it is..
And if I'm at home, I start to switch to shark tank or South Park..
If I'm at a sports bar, I start to talk to the girl with the sassy shoes..
But in a shorter game, the action is more compact, and I'm forced to concentrate..
2. I really really don't like watching NBA or MLB the next day..
And I really don't like staying up late these days..
East coasters get see-rewed and you know it..
I don't mind watching NFL network channel, but that's only cause they drastically speed up the game..
3. Rugby and soccer..
The first half is only 45mins..
Pee first and at half time and you are set!
In NFL, NBA and MLB..
There are too many breaks..
I guess if you had bladder problems..
I guess you would be in heaven..
4. MMA is an excellent example of a sport that is fun to watch a couple of days old..
5. Sorry meant BIG day games on Saturday and Sunday..
EVEN these days.. I have problems staying up past 10pm..
I'm tired, a complainer and OLD!!!
- Awful Announcing
- Free Darko
- Pro Football Talk
- The Big Lead
- Joe Posnanski
- The Sporting Blog
- Big League Stew
- Bugs and Cranks
- Every day Should Be Saturday
- Mr. Irrelevant
- With Leather
- The Sports Hernia