- 01/16/2014, 10:10AM ET
HighwayCrossingFrog said 01/16, 10:10 AM
1. Wayne Gretzky..
Canada's equivalent to MJ, (but with a really hot wife)..
2. 2002 AND 2010 Olympic gold hockey..
And to make the sauce sweeter, they beat their big brother Yankees in the finals, not once but twice..
3. Edmonton oilers back in the Gretzky days..
Oh why did you leave Wayne?
I know.. The money..
4. Blue jays win back to back..
Oh how it must hurts for cub fans and clevelanders..
5. Vince carter leads an exciting raptors to the play offs..
The highlight was the greatest dunk competition ever..
Even Jordan would say Vince's dunks were prettier..
6. Raonic becomes a legitimate top 20 player in the world..
And he will probably break the top 5 some day..
7. Justin Moreau wins MVP for the twins
8. Doug flutie and warren moon make CFL a legitimate league for guys who dream big of making the big bucks, one day in the States..
9. Eric gagne! Nasty closer.. Had over 50 consecutive saves and didn't blow a save for one full season.. Unfortunately he got killed in the all star game..
10. Greg rusedski..
Is he Canadian? Is he British?
I don't know.. He was a pretty darn good serve and volleyer though..
Argos. said 01/16, 02:47 PM
I don't really think a single player is really a triumph. Just as I don't see teams really being an accomplishment when they win titles, as they aren't entirely Canadian and in many cases beat teams with Canadians on them. I really don't get picking Vince Carter, or the Oilers, or any of that crap. So anyways, my list kicks your list ****.
With that said, I did no research to compile my list. So it probably sucks.
1. 2002 & 2010 Olympic Gold for Men's Ice Hockey
I really consider this as two events, but since you had it as one, I will keep it as one.
2. Terry Fox
Does he count?
3. 1987 Canada Cup Win
The final against Russia is one of the biggest moments in Canadian sporting history. It was also some of the best hockey ever played.
4. Ben Johnson winning in the 1988 Olympics with a WR time
He would get striped shortly after, but when he won, it was amazing. And what a time!
5. Donovan Bailey 1996 Olympic 100M Gold & WR
6. Canada winning the most Golds in 2010
7. Mike Weir winning The Masters
8. GSP dominates UFC
9. 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup win
The only time Canada has done anything in soccer.
10. Hesjedal wins the Giro
HighwayCrossingFrog said 01/16, 03:36 PM
I do like your list a lot..
You obviously have an advantage because the good Canadian memories will stick longer in your head, than in mine..
I would replace Ben Johnson with your boy raonic..
The big 4 are beginning to fall apart..
Federer is done at 32.5..
Nadal has 2 years left before his knees crumble..
Murray just had back surgery.. And I don't think he will ever get his top form back..
Plus Murray has won Wimbledon now.. That was all Andy ever needed to do..
Yes.. Raonic has an excellent chance of sneaking a slam, sometime over the next 8 years..
If he does bag a slam.. Even you would have to knock off someone from your list..
I personally will always remember Donovan Bailey more..
For beating Michael Johnson in the 150 meter sprint..
At the time people said Michael Johnson was unstoppable..
Bailey must have been very nervous..
Only 2 guys racing..
A million dollars for the winner..
Loser gets embarrassed..
Plus Bailey anchored the Olympic gold relay Canadian team..
- Awful Announcing
- Free Darko
- Pro Football Talk
- The Big Lead
- Joe Posnanski
- The Sporting Blog
- Big League Stew
- Bugs and Cranks
- Every day Should Be Saturday
- Mr. Irrelevant
- With Leather
- The Sports Hernia