Truth & Rumors > MLB

Yanks getting desperate for Lee?

Views
58549
Comments
195

09:43 AM ET 12.07 | Cliff Lee is now almost a lock for a six-year deal, though one late report suggests seven years may also be in play. Common sense tells you that the Yankees, who appear increasingly desperate to sign the left-hander, will be the team to step up to six. In doing so, they'll ensure that Lee turns away the Rangers, for whom he enjoyed playing so much. And baseball wisdom tells you that the Yankees, by doing so, again would be sacrificing long-term viability for the sake of a short-term gain. It's a practice they've exhibited too often, even since Brian Cashman took full control of the baseball operations after the 2005 season.

Newsday

Cliff Lee, Getty Images Cliff Lee, Getty Images
December 7, 2010  09:48 AM ET

And the wait continues...

December 7, 2010  09:52 AM ET

I heard Texas would only go 4 years. but Rumors are rumors.
I also heard that Lee's agent wouldn't do anything until the winter meetings, so I don't know how desperate the Yankees really are, sounded more like this was what was expected out of the process.
It will be interesting to see the contract that Lee signs as he has spurned any attempt to prevent him from getting to FA.

December 7, 2010  10:04 AM ET
QUOTE:

and you might have a sideways coin slot. what's your point?

Doom and gloom.

December 7, 2010  10:05 AM ET
QUOTE:

Lee might have 2-4 good years left.

Lincecum might have his arm blow up tomorrow...

December 7, 2010  10:10 AM ET
QUOTE(#8):

Lincecum might have his arm blow up tomorrow...

Now, now. Play nice in here

Comment #10 has been removed
December 7, 2010  10:13 AM ET

I'd like to see if Texas could keep Lee.....NY has enough...

Comment #12 has been removed
December 7, 2010  10:16 AM ET
QUOTE:

Lee might have 2-4 good years left.

I would take four good years, and if one of them is a WS MVP year, well, all the better.

December 7, 2010  10:23 AM ET
QUOTE(#9):

Now, now. Play nice in here

That is nice, and true. Lincecum has a wacked out delivery, it may just be a matter of time before he goes the way of Willis, though i doubt it, more likely he has a shorter career than most pitchers due to the stress on his smaller frame and his overthrowing.

December 7, 2010  10:32 AM ET

Seems to me that the media is desperate and I wish they would stop rambling about it and tell us about it when it happens.

Comment #26 has been removed
December 7, 2010  10:41 AM ET
QUOTE:

That's certainly a popular opinion. But I don't think there's much logic to pitchers breaking down. Some guys have indestructible arms, and others turn out to be fragile. Prior supposedly had the perfect delivery, and look what happened to him.

That is true, but guys with "non-traditional" deliveries are even bigger unknowns. Hell, if he ends up having longevity, his may be the delivery of the future. Probably not.

December 7, 2010  10:43 AM ET
QUOTE(#26):

Does it even exist?

as much as talking animals...

December 7, 2010  10:44 AM ET

> baseball wisdom tells you that the Yankees,
> by doing so, again would be sacrificing
> long-term viability for the sake of a short-term
> gain. It's a practice they've exhibited too
> often, {ever} since Brian Cashman took full
> control of the baseball operations after the
> 2005 season.

Therein lies the key point in the story that many miss.

Yankees may win Lee. But in doing so, they may lose. At the end of the day, Cashman and his Steinbrenner Sing-alongs need to understand the concept of value. I never thought Lee would go to the Yankees because I thought they were smarter than to give away more treasure for yet another long-term contract that will begin to smell after a few years. Apparently they haven't been AJ-ed enough.

Oh blah dee, oh blah dah, life goes ooooon RAH!

December 7, 2010  10:48 AM ET

LOL

December 7, 2010  10:52 AM ET
QUOTE(#30):

> baseball wisdom tells you that the Yankees,> by doing so, again would be sacrificing> long-term viability for the sake of a short-term> gain. It's a practice they've exhibited too> often, {ever} since Brian Cashman took full> control of the baseball operations after the> 2005 season.Therein lies the key point in the story that many miss.Yankees may win Lee. But in doing so, they may lose. At the end of the day, Cashman and his Steinbrenner Sing-alongs need to understand the concept of value. I never thought Lee would go to the Yankees because I thought they were smarter than to give away more treasure for yet another long-term contract that will begin to smell after a few years. Apparently they haven't been AJ-ed enough.Oh blah dee, oh blah dah, life goes ooooon RAH!

Because the problem with AJ has been too many years...uh huh...

December 7, 2010  10:53 AM ET
QUOTE:

You better walk a day in my shoes before you start talking about beginning to smell after a few years, bub.

Get up and walk it off...

Comment #36 has been removed
 
December 7, 2010  10:58 AM ET

The Nationals are offering Lee 7 years. Does he want years and money or does he want to win. Time will tell because the Yankees won't go beyond CC money and years nor should they.

Comment

Remember to keep your posts clean. Profanity will get filtered, and offensive comments will be removed.


Truth & Rumors

MOST POPULAR

  1. 1
    Clippers, Warriors exchange barbs
    Views
    431
    Comments
    235
  2. 2
    Tuukka Rask takes blame for Bruins' Game 1 loss
    Views
    2459
    Comments
    231
  3. 3
    Smush Parker allegedly punches high schooler
    Views
    2053
    Comments
    140
  4. 4
    Time to penalize NHL's perennial losers?
    Views
    335
    Comments
    112
  5. 5
    Quarterback freefalling down draft boards
    Views
    7096
    Comments
    90

SI.com

SI Photos