Truth & Rumors > NCAAB

Amaker mum on Harvard cheating, key losses

Views
15448
Comments
21

08:19 AM ET 10.10 | Tommy Amaker didn't say their names, but they were, in a way, a headline on Tuesday. Speaking publicly for the first time since two of the key pieces from the team [Kyle Casey and Brandyn Curry] reportedly withdrew from school in the midst of a campus cheating scandal, Amaker withheld any comment on them during Massachusetts Basketball Media Day, hosted by Boston College. He declined to go into specifics about whether Casey and Curry had officially withdrawn, but throughout his conversation with reporters, he talked as if he were preparing to coach the team without them. "Because of the privacy laws and out of respect for the process and the many, many students that are involved in this, I'm not allowed to comment, to speak," Amaker said.

The Boston Globe

Tommy Amaker, Getty Images Tommy Amaker, Getty Images
October 10, 2012  08:34 AM ET

Oh my this should raise the SEC fans up in arms today!

Comment #2 has been removed
October 10, 2012  08:45 AM ET

I wonder how many threads they are going to bombard us with today?

Comment #4 has been removed
Comment #5 has been removed
October 10, 2012  08:47 AM ET
QUOTE(#1):

Oh my this should raise the SEC fans up in arms today!

Harvard is bigger than sports and they''d be perfectly fine if all sports revenue disappeared overnight. SEC schools cannot claim the same thing.

October 10, 2012  08:49 AM ET
QUOTE(#3):

I wonder how many threads they are going to bombard us with today?

They must be scraping the bottom of the barrel if we are getting hit with threads about Harvard.

Comment #8 has been removed
October 10, 2012  09:44 AM ET
QUOTE(#6):

Harvard is bigger than sports and they''d be perfectly fine if all sports revenue disappeared overnight. SEC schools cannot claim the same thing.

If my memory serves correctly, this was an issue involving the student body as a whole, and not specific to athletes. But, my memory went with my hair and ain't what it used to be.

Comment #10 has been removed
Comment #11 has been removed
Comment #12 has been removed
Comment #13 has been removed
October 10, 2012  11:48 AM ET
QUOTE(#8):

Amaker should have cheated better at Michigan and kept his job. Now he brings his stench to Harvard. If one looks closely at the academic backgrounds of his players at Harvard most do not deserve to be there. some diversity crap got those kids in. Student my butt?

I can't let this one slide. This was a school wide cheating scandal that happened to have 2 basketball players involved. Please troll responsibly.

Comment #15 has been removed
Comment #16 has been removed
October 10, 2012  12:42 PM ET
QUOTE(#16):

the 2 Harvard BB players had no business being in Harvard anyway.

Ok, let's play a game called common sense. You tell me what the grade requirememts and test scores are for Harvard and tell me what the basketball players grades and test scores are. Then show that those two guys were lower than every person excepted into Harvard and you will be right. At a school like Harvard you don't think some rich guy or famous alum can't get their kid in there by just writing the school a fat check? Damn athletics, you don't think some average students are there because their parents are connected? Get real dude!

Comment #18 has been removed
October 10, 2012  01:59 PM ET
QUOTE(#18):

Then all diversity is doing is diluting and watering down a fine institution like Harvard. If those basketball players 2 parents wrote huge checks to Harvard I would find that amazing. Harvard hopefully has high standards for 99% of their students. The other 1% are probably admitted to keep some faction from protesting or rioting.

If Bill Gates, Donald Trump, or any rich guy wants their kid in an Ivy League school, grades be damned they'll find a way to get them in. There are a lot of brilliant students at Harvard but don't be naive man and think that connections don't matter. To single out 2 athletes you know nothing about when a campus wide cheating scandall is going on is ridiculous.

 
Comment #20 has been removed

Comment

Remember to keep your posts clean. Profanity will get filtered, and offensive comments will be removed.


Truth & Rumors

MOST POPULAR

  1. 1
    'Melo wants to be wooed (like, Howard wooed)
    Views
    2435
    Comments
    1353
  2. 2
    Vogel coaching for his job
    Views
    878
    Comments
    773
  3. 3
    Cashman scratching his head over Pineda
    Views
    1841
    Comments
    743
  4. 4
    Farrell defends Fenway's 'sleep room'
    Views
    2215
    Comments
    481
  5. 5
    Youthful Red Wings are rattled
    Views
    2205
    Comments
    292

SI.com

SI Photos